Monday, June 2, 2008

Deutschland to Dhaka (Robert Lehman)

My name is Robert Lehman, I'm 19 years old, I'm half American, a quarter English, and a quarter Scottish, and I was born and raised in Frankfurt, Germany. I've just finished my first year at Duke University, where I plan to double-major in English and Political Science. I am writing this as my Dhaka-bound plane is soaring through the dark night away from Qatar, where I walked out to my plane in the middle of the night, in forty degree celcius heat... In a moment of wonder at this ceaselessly surprising world, a few hours from landing in Bangladesh, it seems an appropriate time to reflect on my expectations of the experience I am flying towards.

My initial interest in engaging in this new program partnership between Duke and BRAC was sparked by an excitement at the idea that we would learn about microfinance and the work of non-governmental organizations in Bangladesh by being placed at the headquarters of BRAC in an intensely progress-oriented environment. I couldn't think of a better way to develop an understanding of the world of microfinance than to be in constant interaction with representatives of BRAC, as well as the actual clients of this organization, and fellow students to share the experience with. I count myself unbelievably fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to learn from people working for and benefiting from BRAC to develop a genuine insight into modern approaches to poverty alleviation.

I think it is this prospect of learning about microfinance up close, from the inside out, that I am most excited about. It will be invaluable to see the economist's world of percentages and numbers, of sweeping appraisals of the effects of microfinance, but also to speak to the individuals to whom the effects of microfinance matter most - the actual clients of BRAC. In this microcosmic approach to microfinance, I am eager to learn about how the people who are affected by the efforts of microfinance think about its value, its potential, and its limitation. I think it will be fascinating to learn what concrete improvements these individuals have been able to make due to the work of BRAC, to see how other facets of life (health, safety, education for example) are influenced by micro-credit schemes.

Talking to the representatives of BRAC, I am particularly looking forward to how they feel that the concept of microfinance has to be "marketed" across the world in order to build on early successes. There is an exciting momentum about microfinance right now, and I am interested in whether BRAC sees the future face of microfinance as being one of social responsibility within non-profit organizations, or one of economic potential within the private sector, or both...

The consideration of all of these things that I want to learn leads right into my greatest concern for the trip. Interestingly, the physical obstacles that I might encounter in Bangladesh are not concerning me in the least. I have come to terms with the fact that I will probably get sick on the trip, and I'm trembling with a boyish excitement at the opportunity to be working right in the thick of monsoon season.

My greatest concern is my uncertainty about the trade-off between getting something out of this trip and giving something back. I am very conscious of the dangers of being selfish or wasteful with this experience. I want to be very careful about avoiding the trap of moral tourism, where I write off any responsibility, but give myself a nice pat on the back for having left home for two months to change the world.

On the other hand I want to be mindful of avoiding an overeager expectation that I have the answers to poverty and can change a society without really understanding it. I am very concerned about being helpful, about being a valuable asset to BRAC during this internship. When I think about what excites me most about this experience, however, I think about everything that I stand to learn, which seems like a one-sided exchange in the "getting something out - giving something back" tradeoff.

Rather than feeling guilty about this primary desire to learn, I think I need to realize that I won't be able to give back until I have got something out of the experience; I can't teach, so to speak, without learning. I think it is this mentality that will ensure that I will carry everything that I have learned from my experience with me when I return.

No comments: