Monday, June 2, 2008

Thinking in Dubai (Sam Halls)

My name is Samuel Halls and I am a 20-year-old economics and history double major at Duke. I was born in New Zealand and have had the privilege of being raised in New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, and the United States.


I am actually writing this entry while sitting in the Dubai airport waiting to board for the final stretch to Dhaka. (On a side note the Dubai airport is awesome). I think I would classify my feelings as a mix of excitement and anxiety. I am nervous about the climate and to be honest I’m nervous about how I am going to adjust to the overwhelming poverty. We’ve been discussing this trip for what seems like months and yet I am still not entirely sure what we’ll actually be doing on a daily basis. It is comforting to know that I’m not the only one who is slightly clueless and also to know that I am traveling with other Duke students. I am definitely going to miss my family, friends, and my dog but I am thoroughly convinced that these two months will be memorable experience that will play a massive role in shaping my perspective and expectations about the world and my life.


Concerning the project itself, I’m excited at the prospect of experiencing an entirely new culture and investigating the realities of an organization (BRAC) and methodology (microfinance). I have been reading Dr. Yunis’ best selling account Banker to the Poor over the last few days and he describes microfinance as this phenomenal philosophy that has tremendous ability/potential to alleviate poverty. I’m looking forward to hearing real world stories, which should show me whether his book provides an accurate portrayal. I’m also anticipating learning more about the specific mechanisms of BRAC and how they operate on a daily basis. I think more than anything I anxious to meet the people of BRAC. I think an important part of our documentary will be chronicling what motivates these people and to what extent to they see Microfinance as a legitimate answer to world poverty. Moreover, can they give examples where this theory does not work and more importantly what factors, whether they’re political, cultural etc, prevent it from being completely successful. I also want to hear how the people of Bangladesh outside of BRAC feel about the organization, micro-credit and their country in general. I can’t wait until we get into the field and experience Dhaka, the trials of the people and how BRAC is making a difference on a micro level.

No comments: